Six Indicted on Murder, Assault Charges in Death of Covington Teen
Six teenagers are indicted by the Kenton County Grand Jury on Thursday for their alleged roles in the shooting death of Desean Peterson in October.
Indicted Thursday on murder and second degree assault charges were Hassan Abullah, 18, Reginald Bates, 19, Jamell Darden, 20, Eugene Smith, 18, and James Young, 18.
Also indicted on murder and second degree assault charges was a previously unidentified juvenile. Jacob Cardenas, who was sixteen at the time but has since turned seventeen, will be transferred from juvenile court and tried as an adult.
The assault charge that each defendant faces relates to the wound suffered by a female bystander the night Peterson was killed.
A second juvenile who has not been identified remains in juvenile custody.
An eighth suspect, Mikyle Holloway, 19, was indicted on a charge of tampering with physical evidence for his role in allegedly getting rid of the murder weapon.
Peterson's family talks to the media during vigil on Garrard Street/RCN file
Covington Police Chief Spike Jones and Kenton County Commonwealth's Attorney Rob Sanders said in October that a feud between two rival factions of youths led to the deadly shooting on the 1700 block of Garrard Street.
When six defendants appeared in a Kenton County courtroom on November 7, investigators said that a fist fight and retaliation plans preceded Peterson's death.
All six pleaded not guilty.
Peterson was remembered by friends and family as a talented music artist during a vigil held at the scene of his death. He was also remembered as a standout athlete at Holmes High School where he was prom king, but never graduated.
Written by Michael Monks, editor & publisher of The River City News
Photo: Defendants appear in court in November for arraignment/RCN file