Workshops Announced for Free Preservation & Restoration Event this Weekend
The lineup of workshops is announced for the NKY Restoration Weekend scheduled for Saturday, March 22, 2014 from 9am to 4 pm at the Gateway Urban Campus located at 525 Scott Street in Covington, KY. In addition to the workshops visitors will interact with craftsmen providing demonstrations in plaster repair, timber framing, and window restoration taking place throughout the day. Plus, there is a luncheon with keynote speaker Dan Becker. Mr. Becker, from Historic Raleigh North Carolina's Preservation Program, will ignite your interest in historic preservation with his keynote address "Preservation: Crowd-sourcing Community Investment" while you enjoy a free boxed lunch. Participants will also find a vendor fair. Although NKY Restoration is free, participants are asked to register online at www.nkyrestoration.com.
There is something for everyone with a historic home or thinking about purchasing one. The workshops include the following topics:
- The Art of Wood Graining: The process involved in creating faux wood finishes.
- Buying, Insuring and Paying for a Rehab: Options to finance an historic home.
- Greening Your Historic Home: New ideas and commonsense approaches to green your old home.
- Electric & Building Codes in Historic Buildings: Understanding codes is an important part of rehabs.
- Tile Maintenance and Restoration: Tips in maintaining, repairing and caring for historic tile and a history of Rookwood tile.
- I Bought a Historic Home - Now What?: Advice on planning your rehab, hiring contractors and getting the proper permits.
- Repair and Maintenance for Historic Wood: Basics of wood maintenance, dealing with issues, and replicating missing millwork.
- Kentucky Homeowner Tax Credits: Find out if you can qualify for 20% or 30% in KY tax credits.
- House Stories - Researching Your Historic Home: How to trace the history of your house.
- Estimating for Successful Rehabs: Understanding how to be prepared for cost estimates.
- Renew, Reuse and Repurpose: Methods to help green your historic home's interior.
- Historic Gardens and Landscapes: Creating today's Victory Garden.
- A Ton of Bricks: How-to tuckpoint and repair masonry.
- Measuring 2X - Install Once!: How to calculate measurements for your projects to save money.
- Box Gutters: Keep your box gutters working like they were intended to.
- What Style Is It?: Basic architectural styles you'll find in Northern Kentucky.
- Restoring Historic Wood Floors: The process for refinishing your wood.
For more details on each of these classes, vendors, demonstration and a list ofaccredited continuing education for AIA and AICP professionals to be held in the afternoon of Friday, March 21 at the Baker Hunt Art and Cultural Center at 620 Greenup St, Covington, KY please visit www.nkyrestoration.com. There is free parking for the event at the Midtown Parking Garage, located adjacent to the Gateway Urban Campus at the corner of 5th St and Greenup St.
From NKY Restoration Weekend