kynect Enrollment Climbs as Deadline Nears
More than 125,000 Kentuckians have newly enrolled for health care coverage or renewed their current plans through kynect in the two months since open enrollment began on Nov. 15, 2014.
This enrollment total includes individuals who have either newly enrolled in a private health insurance plan, qualified for Medicaid coverage or renewed the private insurance plans they purchased through kynect last year.
In the last week alone, kynect has newly enrolled 3,141 individuals in one of the qualified health plan offered through kynect.
Another 75,700 individuals have auto-renewed the private health insurance plans they purchased last year through kynect.
An additional 8,329 individuals newly met eligibility requirements for Medicaid, the majority of which qualified for coverage under the expansion. An individual’s income must fall below 138 percent of the Federal Poverty Level to qualify for the Medicaid expansion. This equates to an individual making less than $16,000 a year or a family of four with an annual household income at or below $36,000.
The kynect retail store at the Fayette Mall in Lexington continues to assist a steady stream of consumers eager for in-person assistance. In the last week, insurance agents and kynectors have helped individuals complete 400 new applications for health care coverage.
The following statistics are current as of 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 15:
- 468,427 unique visitors viewing more than 16.3 million pages;
- 248,144 individuals have conducted preliminary screenings;
- 354,463 calls have been handled by the kynect contact center;
- 26,234 new accounts have been created;
- 6,770 people have downloaded the new kynect app;
- 42,573 new applications for coverage have been submitted;
- 34,049 have enrolled in Medicaid coverage;
- 75,760 individuals have renewed their enrollment in a qualified health plan;
- 15,670 individuals have newly enrolled in a qualified health plan;
- 5,038 individuals have enrolled in dental plans; and
- 5,843 visitors to the kynect store at Fayette Mall in Lexington have completed 3,616 applications for new coverage
Last year Kentucky saw more than 521,000 individuals enrolled in health care coverage through kynect, 75 percent of whom reported they were uninsured prior to signing up through kynect. A Gallup poll this summer reported that Kentucky had the second-highest reduction of uninsured people in the country, falling from 20.4 percent in 2013 to 11.9 percent midway through 2014.
“Timing is really critical now as individuals have less than a month left during this open enrollment period to purchase a qualified health plan,” said Carrie Banahan, executive director of kynect. “We encourage anyone who remains without health insurance to enroll in coverage through kynect as soon as possible. Individuals can check out kynect online, by phone or in-person with an insurance agent or kynectors, or stop by our new location at Fayette Mall in Lexington.”
Open enrollment continues through Feb. 15, 2015. Those who need health insurance are encouraged to log on or contact an insurance agent or kynector to see their options for quality, affordable health coverage in 2015 before the deadline passes.
Visit https://kynect.ky.gov or call 1-855-4kynect (459-6328) to learn more about affordable health care options for Kentuckians.
From the Commonwealth of Kentucky