Member Login

Fire Breaks Out at Sims Furniture Building

UPDATE: Investigation is underway Friday morning

ORIGINAL POST:

Heavy smoke billowed from the 700 block of Madison Avenue in Covington on Thursday night.

Fire broke out at around 9 p.m. in the Sims Furniture building on the southwest corner of Madison Avenue & 8th Street. While flames were not visible from the outside, the smoke was heavy and seemed to be confined to the southern portion of the building along 8th Street in a garage or storage area used by the furniture store as well as inside the Jackson Hewitt tax service center along Madison.

Fire departments from Park Hills, Newport, Ft. Thomas, Ludlow, Ft. Mitchell, and Cincinnati (and others) responded to assist Covington firefighters who entered every part of the building looking for flames. While hazy smoke was visible in parts of Sims Furniture, it did not appear to affect other tenants in the building like Dennis Heglin Music & Pawn and Step N Out dance studio. 

Most of the building, which was originally built as Downtown Covington's Montgomery Ward store, is occupied by Sims, a staple of the city center for decades. While some pieces of furniture, particularly mattresses, appeared to be damaged on the 8th Street side of the building, it was unclear whether the display furnitute in the showroom had suffered any smoke-related damage.

Jackson Hewitt, on the other hand, was full of white smoke. The tax business is in the midst of its busiest season.

What started the fire was not immediately clear. Traffic in Downtown Covington was completely shut off along Madison and the blocks surrounding the building.

More details on the fire will be published as soon as they are known. Follow The River City News on Facebook, Twitter, or email us.

Story & photos by Michael Monks, editor & publisher

Slideshow Images & Captions: