Cincinnati Accelerator Announces Date for Demo Day
Cincinnati has a long tradition of fostering the entrepreneurial spirit, and that tradition continues to evolve with the growth of Ocean Accelerator, which is the nation’s only independent, faith-based accelerator. The organization will showcase its 2016 class of nine companies from around the country and the world at its 2016 Demo Day at the Crossroads Oakley Auditorium at 3500 Madison Road on April 28 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
In its second year, Ocean Accelerator immerses founders in a nurturing environment designed to help them thrive as a business leader, and as an individual away from the corporate world. Ocean is similar to other accelerators in that it offers a blend of capital, mentorship, training and co-working capabilities to a group of select, high-ceiling startups. What differentiates the organization is its emphasis on comprehensive development of the entrepreneur, including elements like faith, family and community.
From the inaugural 2015 class, eight companies are operational and have raised $2.4 million in capital and generated 46 jobs. Ocean’s second class started on January 11 and runs through May 31. Demo Day is the signature event when the participating companies deliver pitches to thousands of potential investors. More than 1,500 people attended last year’s Demo Day, and an additional 1,200 viewers saw the event online.
Don Lothrop, a former managing partner at Delphi Ventures, will serve as the keynote speaker. He will discuss how failures are natural stepping stones to lofty ambitions while highlighting how leveraging his faith is inspiring unprecedented innovations by entrepreneurs in Romania.
The companies that compose Ocean’s current class include:
- Devoo , a social media marketplace for people making last-minute plans connecting spontaneous buyers and businesses with expiring capacity;
- Feasty , a mobile app that connects hungry customers looking for a deal to nearby sponsored restaurant offers;
- Homefield , a fan engagement software suite that creates a virtual community of sports fans interacting around games;
- Liquid, a data collection and management application for scientists doing research in the field;
- We Love Work, a platform using psychometric tests to connect workers to companies with shared values;
- Risr , an NCAA-compliant platform that connects college athletes with parents of youth sports participants for personal coaching;
- Spatial, a platform that maps the ever-changing personality of neighborhoods described as “Google Maps wearing a mood ring";
- Spirit Labs, which offers a mobile app called Lepton to make financial giving easier and simpler;
- We Help Others, a fundraising platform that helps religious congregations and nonprofits generate revenue.
Doors open at 12:30 p.m. on Demo Day, and the program will begin promptly at 1 p.m. Tickets are free. Guests can book tickets at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ocean-accelerator-2016-demo-day-tickets-220.... For more information about Ocean, visit www.oceanaccelerator.com.
- Staff report/Image via Facebook