After $4 Million Anonymous Gift, Thomas More Names Library for Nuns
Thomas More College officially named the Benedictine Library on Wednesday to honor the Benedictine Sisters of St. Walburg Monastery. The naming of the library is the result of an anonymous $4 million matching gift to the college. This donation, which is the largest in the history of Thomas More, came with the stipulation that the Benedictine Sisters be honored in a significant manner.
The Benedictine Sisters of Covington founded Villa Madonna College in 1921 originally to train Catholic school teachers and to provide women with a college education. Villa Madonna College was later renamed Thomas More College in 1968.
The $4 million gift, which the College has been challenged to match within a four-year period, is focused on the creation of the Benedictine Endowment of the Thomas More College Success Center. This center will make a significant impact on students' academic success: retention, graduation, and career placement.
There are three major components of the Success Center:
1. The Dr. Anthony R. and Geraldine Zembrodt Institute for Academic Excellence features tutoring, academic counseling and persistence counseling which includes intensive monitoring of at-risk students.
2. The Institute for Learning Differences is a Federal Level II academic support program for students with documented learning differences. This program includes professional tutoring, individual mentoring/coaching, study skills support, quiet test taking areas and adaptive equipment.
3. The Institute for Career Development and Graduate School Planning consists of career advising, graduate school advising, and an experiential learning component which is a requirement at Thomas More.
The Success Center is another example of how Thomas More College is a leader of innovative programs that help students accomplish their educational goals, graduate, get a job or attend graduate school.