See Inside Historic Homes as Covington Neighborhood Hosts Christmas Walk
Ten Victorian homes in Covington will make up the annual Christmas Walk through the Old Seminary Square neighborhood.
The tour includes a stop in the homes of three elected officials, State Rep. Arnold Simpson, Mayor Joe Meyer, and city commissioner Jordan Huizenga.
With the exception of the Huizenga home, which is two short blocks from Russell and Robbins, all of the other homes are in a compact one-block rectangle bounded by Russell, Robbins and 11th Streets, and the CSX railroad tracks.
Tickets for this fundraiser for the Old Seminary Square Neighborhood Association, the parks improvement project in the neighborhood, and the Children’s Law Center,
which is located in the neighborhood, will be available at the Charles Fisk House at 1017 Russell St., the longtime office for the Sanders Law Firm.
Tickets are $20, or $18 in advance by going to covingtonchristmas.com. For people who purchase online, those tickets and a tour map may be picked up on the day of the event at the Fisk House. Children 12 and under are free when accompanied by an adult who has purchased a ticket.
Carolers from Covington Latin School will be roaming through the neighborhood and refreshments will be available at some of the homes.
Two of the homes on the tour are the only buildings still standing from the Western Baptist Theological Institute, which is the basis for the Old Seminary Square neighborhood name.
One of the homes is located at 1026 Russell, the Sandford House, which is owned and occupied by Dan and Linda Carter. It was built in the early 1800s by Major Alfred Sandford, whose father, General Thomas Sandford, was the first Congressman to represent this region of Kentucky. He served from 1803-1807.
The home was sold to the Western Baptist Theological Institute in 1835 and is the forerunner of Georgetown College in Georgetown, which is about 70 miles south o Covington.
In the late 1800s it was the home of Miss Bistrow’s Boarding and Day School for Ladies and Young Misses, an exclusive boarding school for prominent families.
The Simpson home is believed to be the faculty house for the institute. Both the interior and the exterior of the house are extraordinary and the front porch features distinctive and highly detailed ironwork that was fabricated at Covington’s Stewart Iron Works.
Two other homes on the tour are significant for a variety of reasons, including the prominence of the people who built the homes more than a century ago.
The John Todd House at 106 W. 11 th St., owned by the Meyers, was built for an agent of the C&O Railroad in 1865, the year the Civil War ended. The home was purchased in 1874 by Laban J. Bradford, a tobacco merchant who served as a state representative and on the board for the forerunner of the University of Kentucky.
The home, a great example of Victorian architecture and Italianate detail, has outside dimensions of 95 feet by 30 feet and has twin 18 by 20 parlors that have 14-
foot ceilings with ornate plasterwork.
The current occupants of The Harriet Albro House at 1041 Russell are Jeff and Suzanne Anderson and their son Carter. It was built in 1874 in the Eastlake Italianate style for Harriet Albro, the widow of a Cincinnati wood merchant. As might be expected, some of the woodwork is extraordinary. The house has been featured in The Old House Journal.
The Christmas Walk is Saturday and Sunday, December 9 and 10.