City of Covington Promotes Firefighters
Wed, 06/13/2018 - 07:18 RCN Newsdesk
The formal hiring of Mark Pierce as Covington's Fire Chief on May 15 started a chain reaction of open positions below him.
The City of Covington filled those positions at Tuesday night's city commission meeting.
Five Fire Department personnel with a combined 60 years' experience responding to emergencies in Covington were promoted on a 5-0 vote.
- Battalion Chief Michael Bloemer (hired 1999) to Assistant Chief of Operations and Training.
- Captain Christopher Alsip (hired 2004) to Battalion Chief.
- Lieutenant Joseph Bowman (hired 2005) to Captain.
- Engineer/Paramedic Patrick Averveck (hired 2009) to Lieutenant/Paramedic.
- Firefighter/Paramedic Mathew Archer (hired 2013) to Engineer/Paramedic.
After the commission's vote, Chief Pierce handed the men their new badges and read their histories with the department as four of the five lined up before the Commission. (Battalion Chief Alsip was unable to make the meeting.)
Each finished as the top scorer of the written promotional exams for their new positions, the Chief said.