Plan Announced to Address Covington Schools Test Scores
Covington Independent Public Schools Superintendent Lynda Jackson laid out a five-point plan to address the district's low scores on the new K-PREP test:
After examining the results of the state's new testing system, Covington has developed a Five Point plan for school improvement. During this time, we will keep our families and community abreast of the changes. While there is much work ahead, we have the ability to take action and make a collective impact for the sake of our students. From now until Christmas break, we will devote our time to the plan that includes:
1. Schools creating assessment plans that includes goals and timelines.
2. Employees being trained to analyze the K-PREP or EPAs (Explore, PLAN and ACT)scores with a focus on how individual students performed.
3. District and building administrators observing classrooms to support instruction and monitor pacing of all content areas.
4. Administrators designing interventions that align with DesCarte on the MAP and skills on Explore, PLAN and ACT.
5. District and building administrators creating a plan to analyze student work on a monthly basis.
Other news from the district:
- KUDOS to the Holmes Cross Country Team for its participation in the regional meet on November 3 at Ryle High School. Alissa Bailey finished 32nd with a time of 24:43; Cameron Johnson finished 21st with a time of 17:52 and Jaylin Wilson ran his last race of his high school career and finished 25th with a time of 18:12. The three missed competing at the state meet by a couple of spots. We are very proud of the hard work they put in this season.
- KUDOS to the following staff who came to work by 4:30 a.m. last Tuesday to open schools for the election. All buildings were ready and available with tables, chairs, and extensions cords at the requested time of 5 a.m. Thanks to Betty Edmondson, Latonia Elementary School; Rick McGowan, John G. Carlisle Elementary School; Maurice Brown, Sixth District Elementary School; Daryl Watts, Glenn O. Swing Elementary School; Tom Cox. Ninth District Elementary School and Jimmy Humphrey. Holmes High School.
- KUDOS to Stacie Strotman and Tom Haggard for their work in securing United Way funding for Covington Partners for the next three years at $110,000 per year. This funding will provide a stronger academic focus for the after school programs through an after school instructional coach. It also will sustain the Leadership & Resiliency Program at the middle and high schools. In addition, it will continue to support family engagement throughout the community. This is fabulous news and we sincerely thank all of you who LIVE UNITED and support Covington Partners.
- Congratulations to Glenda Huff, Joyce Baker and Kerry Holleran, who were elected to the Covington Board of Education. We are blessed to have citizens who want to serve on the board and advocate for our children.
Upcoming events in the district:
- Principal Roundtable, Monday, 8:30 a.m., Instructional Support Center
- Ninth District Family Resource Center Advisory Council, Monday, 9 a.m.
- Sixth Grade Focus Visit, Monday, 12:30 p.m., Holmes Middle School
- John G. Carlisle Site-based decision-making meeting, Monday, 3:15 p.m.
- Holmes Alumni Association meeting, Monday, 7 p.m., Hartman Room
- Glenn O. Swing Superintendent Awards, Tuesday, 7:15 a.m.
- Holmes Campus Leadership Team (8th/9th Grade Transition), Tuesday, 9 a.m., Room 3110
- John G. Carlisle Focus Visit, Tuesday, 12:30 p.m.
- Latonia Elementary Site-based decision-making meeting, Tuesday, 3:15 p.m.
- Covington Leadership Academy, Tuesday, 4 - 6 p.m., Instructional Support Center
- Latonia Elementary Family Resource Center Advisory Council, Wednesday, 1 p.m.
- Holmes Middle School Parent-Teacher Conferences, Wednesday, 4 - 7 p.m.
- Biggs Family Resource Center Advisory Council, Thursday, 12 p.m.
- Seventh Grade Focus Visit, Thursday, 12:30 p.m.
- Holmes Middle School Site-based decision-making meeting, Thursday, 4 p.m.
- Glenn O. Swing Site-based decision-making meeting,Thursday, 4:15 p.m.
- Covington Education Foundation, Thursday, 4:30 p.m., Central Office
- Eighth Grade Focus Visit, Friday, 10 a.m.