Summer Reading Club Begins at Kenton Co. Library Branches
Light Sabers, Jedis, Elvis impersonators, Circus acts and free pizza are just a few ways the Kenton County Public Library will kickoff Summer Reading Club for teens, adults and children. A whole world of adventure awaits you in books and programs at the Erlanger, Durr and Covington branch libraries. And the best part; you can win prizes just for reading!
Children ages 2-10 can visit any Kenton County Public Library location to pick up a reading log. Once children read, or their parents read them, five books, they can pick up a prize. Once children reach 10 books read, or listened to, they earn the annual KCPL summer reading t-shirt. They also can enter a raffle to win more prizes, including the grand prize of a Nintendo 3DS XL. Children’s illustrator and author David Catrow designed the T-shirt art.
For teens, the library has planned many great programs. Teens can also enter weekly raffle drawings for reading and attending programs as well. For each book read, or listened to, and program attended, teens can enter to win. Prizes include iPod touch; Kindle Fire HD, Amazon gift card, Visa gift card, Game Stop gift card, and restaurant gift cards. The grand prize is a Chromebook.
Adults will receive a raffle ticket for every book read or program attended as well. Weekly drawings for prizes include gift cards to local book stores with the grand prize of a Nook HD.
Kenton County Public Library’s Summer Reading Club begins June 1 and runs through August 31. Visit www.kentonlibrary.org/src for more information. Many prizes are made possible thanks to the Friends of the Kenton County Public Library. Snappy Tomato Pizza and Family Friendly Cincinnati are also sponsors of the Kenton County Public Library Summer Reading Club.
Kenton County Public Library has three celebrations planned to kick off the Summer Reading Clubs. They are free to attend:
- Movie Screenings: A New Hope 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.; The Empire Strikes Back from 2-4 p.m. (for all ages)
- Free Pizza from Snappy Tomato and a screening of Return of the Jedi from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Star Wars Trivia from 4-5 p.m. (ages teen and adult)
- Star Wars costume contest at 5 p.m. (all ages)
- Make it Take It craft from 5-8 p.m. (while supplies last); all ages
- Star Gazing (weather permitting) from 9-10 p.m. (all ages)
Elvis and Summer Reading – William E. Durr Branch, 1992 Walton-Nicholson Rd., Independence
- Saturday, June 1 at 1 p.m.
- There'll be a whole lotta shakin' going on with the rocking sounds of Mike "Elvis" Davis. Snappy Tomato provides pizza for everyone! No registration required. Free rock star shades to the first 150 in attendance!
Circus Days and 5ks – Covington Library, 502 Scott Blvd.
Saturday, June 8 from 9 a.m. to noon
The children’s staff will be on hand at the Library’s 5k with entertainers from Cincinnati Circus. Children’s activities are free. To register for the race go to www.kentonlibrary.org/race
From the Kenton County Public Library/photo provided