Latonia SWAT Situation Continues
UPDATE: The situation has ended and the suspect, 43-year old Michael Vaughan was wounded and was taken to the hospital. Full story
UPDATE (9:10 a.m.): Three children are freed from the house and taken to Latonia Elementary School where officials at the command center will evaluate them. Covington Police Chief Spike Jones said that the children (ages 15, 11, and 5) were uninjured.
The armed suspect who fired on police multiple times is still inside the residence on Michigan Avenue in Latonia.
"He kept his promise to us, we kept our promise to him," Jones said of the release of the children.
Kenton County Commonwealth's Attorney Rob Sanders, posting at his Twitter feed, called the release of the children, "one of the most intense transactions I've ever seen".
Jones asked that the suspect's name still not be released, but elaborated on the man's decorated military service in saying that the suspect may be suffering from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). "We want to deal with that directly," the chief said.
The release of three children adds new information to a story in which it was previously believed that there were only two children inside. Additionally, Jones said that the investigation into the man on Michigan Avenue began well before police first showed up around 5 p.m. on Saturday. The chief said they were first made aware of a possible emotional crisis at the home as early as 11 a.m.
When police responded in the evening, Jones said, the suspect fired at them. The police remain in communication with the suspect.
Chief Spike Jones announces the release of three children/RCN
The scene shortly after the children were taken inside Latonia Elementary/RCN
ORIGINAL STORY (7 a.m.):
A SWAT situation in Latonia is now well past its twelfth hour.
Police responded to a possible emotional crisis on Saturday evening and remain on the scene Sunday morning as they communicate with an armed man on the 4300 block of Michigan Avenue. The man, who has fired on police multiple times, has two children inside the residence with him.
The suspect was giving live updates on his Facebook page throughout the situation Saturday but the page disappeared at some point just past midnight.
Covington Police Chief Spike Jones said Sunday morning that positive progress has been made, though more shots were heard at around 4 a.m., according to witnesses.
The scene is still very active. Dozens of homes in the area are without power, according to Duke Energy. The police urged neighbors to stay inside and away from doors and windows, and to keep their lights off.
The River City News will continue to monitor and bring the latest updates as they happen.
Photos by Katie Woodring