Member Login

Robbery Suspect Killed by Police Allegedly Held Woman at Gunpoint 2 Days Earlier

A man believed to have robbed a Florence hotel before fleeing on foot to Independence where he was later shot and killed by police was also suspected in a robbery of a woman in Ft. Mitchell, The River City News has learned.

Allen Todd, 27, was accused of robbing the Magnuson Hotel in Florence from where he fled in a vehicle that he would eventually crash when chased by police, forcing him to flee on foot. On December 22, he was spotted near Cody Road in Independence where he was shot and killed by police after failing to respond to verbal commands, The River City News reported at the time.

Only recently were the identities of the two officers involved released publicly, though which officer fired a fatal shot has not yet been disclosed. The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that Kenton County Sheriff's Deputy Michael Rodriguez and interim Ludlow Police Chief Bart Beck were involved. The exact circumstances of the shooting have yet to be made public.

Todd had a criminal record and had just been released from prison six months earlier after serving time for a robbery committed in 2005.

According to an arrest report obtained by The River City News, Todd was also a suspect in a Ft. Mitchell in which he allegedly held a gun to a woman's neck.

Just before 10:30 p.m. on December 20, according to the report, a woman was parked in a spot at her apartment on West Chelsea Drive having just returned from work, was sending a text message from the vehicle, and finishing her cigarette.

Investigators reported that that's when Todd approached the driver's side door, put a gun to her neck and cheek, and demanded her purse. After initially being refused, Todd allegedly began to claw at the woman's pants while she sat in the car. She would eventually throw her purse at him and the suspect made off with it and the phone.

According to the report, the woman's purse was a Louis Vuitton worth approximately $2,000 and contained a $300 phone, 2 silver rings worth $40, $6 in cash, a pre-paid VISA card, and other personal items.

The victim drove to the front of the apartment complex and managed to flag someone down to call the police. Ft. Mitchell Police arrived and set up a perimeter, and sent the K9 unit searching but the scent was lost and investigators believed that the suspect had gotten into a vehicle. 

Records from Verizon indicate that the stolen phone was turned on just before 2 a.m. on December 21. 

Ft. Mitchell Police Detective Ron Wietholter obtained the surveillance video from the Florence hotel robbery and the victim in Ft. Mitchell indicated that the suspect was wearing the same or similar clothes the night she was robbed.

Nearly two weeks after the fatal shooting, the car Todd had been driving was searched and the Louis Vuitton purse and additional items belonging the Ft. Mitchell victim were recovered and returned to her.

According to the police report, the case was closed due to the death of the suspect.

Follow The River City News on Facebook, Twitter, or email us!

-Michael Monks, editor & publisher of The River City News