Talbert House Turns 50, Celebrates with New Logo
Talbert House, the largest employer in the social service industry sector in Southwest Ohio, is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2015.
In honor of this occasion, the agency’s 50th anniversary logo- created by LPK, a Cincinnati-based international design agency-was introduced Wednesday. The theme Lighting the Way has been chosen to guide the agency’s work throughout 2015. Talbert House will culminate the golden milestone with a gala late in the year.
Talbert House was founded as an experiment to reintegrate homeless ex-offenders back into the community. In August 1965, with a budget of $30,000 from private donations, the first halfway house opened.
Talbert House was named after Dr. Ernest Talbert (1879-1971), Professor Emeritus of Sociology, by the students he taught at the University of Cincinnati. Dr. Talbert believed treating those struggling with mental health and addiction issues was better suited in the community rather than an institutional setting.
Today Talbert House operates multiple service areas in conjunction with its affiliate, Gateways, throughout Greater Cincinnati. The services are offered to a broad-based population with the agency’s mission in mind: to improve social behavior and enhance personal recovery and growth.
Talbert House helps thousands of men, women, children, and families across Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky overcome adversity to become healthy and productive citizens. Last year, the agency served almost 36,000 clients face-to-face with an additional 34,000 receiving prevention and hotline services. Talbert House’s primary service area is Brown, Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton, and Warren counties in Ohio and Kenton County in Kentucky.
From Talbert House