New RCN/NKYsports.com Boys Basketball Top 5
Here is the newest Top 5 high school boys basketball poll from The River City News and NKYsports.com:
1. Covington Catholic (17-4): The Colonels have won 12 of their last 13 games, including big wins over area powerhouses, Holmes and New Cath—both at The Bank of Kentucky Center. The heavy hitters keep coming for Cov Cath, though, as they travel to Fairdale to take on last year's Sixth Regional champions Pleasure Ridge Park in the King of the Bluegrass Tournament. Upon their return to the region, they still have quality match ups against Boone County and Scott left on the Senior forward Bo Schuh has been one of the best overall players in Northern Kentucky so far this season, with sophomore guard Cole VonHandorf consistently scoring along side of him, averaging 17.7 points per game on the year
2. Newport Central Catholic (16-3): Since losing to Cov Cath in the Bluegrass-Buckeye Charity Classic, New Cath has not lost, including ripping through the Ninth Region All “A” Classic where they averaged a 51-point margin of victory in their three games. The competition stiffens for the Thoroughbreds, however, as they head south to play at Frankfort in the All “A” State Tournament with their first game against Hancock County at 11:30am on Thursday. Two major competitors remain on their schedule after the All “A” Classic with a return visit to The Bank of Kentucky Center on February 13 to play Holmes and a home game against fellow state-contender, Trinity Louisville.
3. Holmes (16-5): The Bulldogs cling to the third spot by the slimmest of margins as they recently suffered back-to-back losses last week at Mason County and against Cov Cath at TBOKC last Friday. They were able to take out their frustrations against Ryle, beating them 70-58 on the road on Tuesday night. Holmes will host Simon Kenton on Saturday and then have an important match at Dixie on February 4. Prior to their mini losing streak, the Bulldogs had won 11 straight games.
4. Dixie (15-5): The Colonels also recently had a large winning streak snapped when a loss to Lafayette in the Toyota Classic ended their run of 10 straight games. After that game, Dixie has begun a new winning streak with victories over Franklin City in the Toyota Classic, and at Lloyd on Tuesday. The road gets steep for the Colonels down the stretch as they still have to play Holmes, top-ranked Cov Cath, Scott, Boone County and Bullitt East. If Dixie can run the remaining gauntlet unscathed, they will have proven that they are a battle-tested team heading into postseason play.
5. Scott (12-9): Despite having nine losses, the Eagles were propelled in the rankings with their win over Campbell County in the Bluegrass-Buckeye Charity Classic and have not looked back since. Following that triumph, Scott has earned a blowout win over Silver Grove and edged out Montgomery County, 68-67, on Tuesday. For the Eagles to keep the good mojo going, though, they will need to pull off a major upset next week at Cov Cath. If they are able to shock the world on that occasion, they will have to carry on their winning ways against Conner and eventually Dixie.
Receiving Votes: Boone County (14-7), Campbell County (16-6).