Boys Basketball Top 5 Poll from RCN/NKYsports.com
After Scott was pummeled by top-ranked Covington Catholic on Tuesday night, the Eagles fell from their fifth spot and allowed Boone County to slip in. If anything, the top two teams have separated themselves from the rest of the pack as Newport Central Catholic and Cov Cath have looked outright dominant as they move toward the end of their regular season.
On Wednesday, Holmes travels to Dixie in what promises to shake up the poll for next week.
1. Covington Catholic (21-4): Cov Cath has won 15 of their last 16 games with their only loss coming on the road at Moeller (Cin.) during that stretch. They continue to blow out their local competition and have few remaining legitimate tests on their schedule. The game at Dixie is probably their toughest game left before the District tournaments begin.
2. Newport Central Catholic (22-3): New Cath looks unbeatable at the moment as they tore through the All “A” Classic Tournament, winning in Frankfort for the third straight year. They have played nearly mistake-free basketball since losing to Cov Cath at the Bluegrass-Buckeye Charity Classic in January, with their seniors Zack Pangallo and Drew McDonald, and junior Ben Weyer leading the way for their team. The Thoroughbreds head back to The Bank of Kentucky Center on February 13 to play Holmes, followed by a huge game against Trinity at home on the next day.
3. Holmes (19-5): The Bulldogs have won their last three after losing to Cov Cath at TBOKC last week, and play a tough Dixie team on Wednesday night. Their remaining schedule is still tough with games against Dixie, New Cath, Conner, and Boone County. Whether the tough stretch builds or hurts their confidence remains to be seen.
4. Dixie (17-6): While many may have not expected such a good season from Dixie, the Colonels continue to roll along having won 14 of their last 15 games. The Colonels suffered a tough loss against Holmes and then the team has games against Cov Cath at home and at Scott left.
5. Boone County (16-8): The Rebels were helped with Scott losing as they slide in to the fifth spot on the poll. Boone County did lose their last game to Cov Cath, but had won three games prior to that. They still have to play Holmes, Campbell County and Dixie before concluding their regular season. If they can win their next two games, they have a good chance to move up even higher next week.
Receiving Votes: Scott (12-10), Campbell County (16-7)