Watch: Film Showcases 2016 Covington Schools Sports Hall of Fame Inductees
Saturday was a special night for some legendary Covington athletes and supporters.
Cam MIller produced this film for the event:
The following people were inducted into the Covington Public Schools Athletic Hall of Fame:
- Ken Spurlock, Holmes Coach 1971-1988
- Tom Haney, Holmes Class of 1965, Coach 1969-1982
- Randy Marsh, Holmes Class of 1967, MLB Umpire 1982-2010
- Aaron Ballard, William Grant High School Class of 1958
- Katie Collins Barber, Holmes Class of 1999
- Denny Bowman, Holmes Class of 1967
- Carol Brown, Holmes Class of 1951
- Tommy Butler, William Grant High School Class of 1958
- Nils Dawson, Holmes Class of 1962
- Wayne Ferguson, Holmes Class of 1965
- Ken Goodhew, Holmes Class of 1959
- Tom Herron, Holmes Class of 1958
- Yvonne Housley, Holmes Class of 1985
- Mike Hughes, Holmes Class of 1993
- Bob Logsdon, Holmes Class of 1961
- Jerry McCullough, William Grant High School Class of 1957
- Ralph Murphy, Holmes Class of 1965
- Gus Roberts, William Grant High School Class of 1957
- Charlie Schomaker, Holmes Class of 1962
- Doug Speaks, Holmes Class of 1971
- Christina Weaver, Holmes Class of 2008
- Frank Wolnitzek, Holmes Class of 1993
Covington Independent Public Schools also surprised another inductee.
After 50 years of service to Holmes High School Gary Huhn was added to the Hall.
Huhn graduated from Holmes in 1962 and then went on to attend the University of Kentucky, graduating in 1966. He then returned to his alma mater, teaching math to countless students in Covington. This year marks his fiftieth year with Holmes High School as an educator.
Since 1972 he has served as the official scorer for the Holmes Boys Basketball team. During that time he has kept score for four State Championship games, including the State Championship win in 2009. Huhn has also tallied many high scoring games, including Jack Jennings's (Class of 1988) career high 68 point total against NCC and a game in the 89-90 season in which Holmes attempted 98 shots in one game. He correctly recorded all 98 attempts. He has been voted as the official scorer for numerous district and regional basketball tournaments.
Huhn has been the Assigning Secretary for both Slow Pitch and Fast Pitch Softball since 1973 assigning officials for all Northern Kentucky high school KHSAA softball games. Starting in the early 70's he was placed in charge of the Covington Summer Men's Softball leagues and also assigned officials for the league. He has served in a number of capacities through out Holmes High School including Summer School Principal, Student Council Supervisor, score keeper for the football team, and is currently serving as the President of the Tom Ellis Athletic Memorial Foundation.