Member Login

Firefighters Injured After Lightning Sparks Fire at Florence Home

Two Florence firefighters were trapped inside a home that caught fire Thursday.

The home on the 1400 block of Taramore Drive is a two-story townhouse from where smoke was billowing.

Initial reports indicated that residents may be trapped inside. That turned out to be not true, as the residents were not home at the time. But, in the search for them, two firefighters were trapped when the roof collapsed on the second floor.

Those firefighters were able to exit the structure on their own when a ladder was placed at the rear of the home. They were transported to St. Elizabeth Hospital, evaluated, and released several hours later, a news release said.

In all, four firefighters reported injuries at the scene.

Thursday's extreme heat posed a challenge for the fire crews on the scene but the fire was declared to be extinguished at around 4 p.m. It was deemed to have been caused by a lightning strike from a storm that passed the area a few minutes prior.

The original home was damaged by fire and the adjacent units suffered smoke damage.

Florence Fire Department was assisted by other agencies from Boone and Kenton Counties.

The Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.

-Staff report

RCN Click Here to Subscribe Today!
RCN Click Here to Subscribe Today!