Member Login

NKY High School Football: Week 3 Results

Week 3 of the Northern Kentucky high school football season stretched over a couple days because of bad weather and lightning forcing multiple games to be postponed.

For some, the weather was a merciful gift, prompting the games to be called - as complete - with lopsided results on the scoreboard.

One such game was Scott-Holy Cross in Taylor Mill.

RCN's Jason Finnell was there and picks up the story:

Scott and Holy Cross literally and figuratively began and ended with a bang Friday night in Taylor Mill, as the Eagles ran away from the Indians, 50-0, in a game that was called at halftime due to lightning in the area.

Senior running back David Patrick put the Eagles on the board quickly with a scoring run a minute in and Scott led 8-0 after a successful two-point conversion. The Indians’ ensuing possession ended with a three-and-out and Scott had the ball back again in Holy Cross territory after a short punt. On first-and-10 on the 43, senior Quincy Perrin weaved his way down the right sideline staying in bounds all the way into the end zone for another Eagles’ touchdown. With 8:28 remaining in the first quarter, Scott led 15-0.

Holy Cross’ kick returner, Brandon McClendon took the ball out to the 30 but a holding penalty cost the Indians 10 yards. Sophomore Jeremiah Hicks got four of those yards back but on the next play, quarterback James Davis was sacked, and Indians had to punt. Scott’s Kyren Simpson then raced untouched 40 yards for the punt return score and a three-touchdown advantage for the Eagles with 6:34 left in the first. Nearly one minute later, Simpson returned another punt to the end zone to give Scott a 29-0 lead. After another Holy Cross punt, quarterback Chad Ohmer hit Sabeon Turner on a quick slant and a 35-yard catch-and-run for another touchdown and a 36-0 margin. The Indians then gave the ball back after their first play of the drive to Scott at their own 15. This time, Ohmerod faked a handoff to Perrin and ran around the left side and into the end zone for a 15-yard touchdown and a 43-0 advantage for the Eagles as the first quarter mercifully came to an end for Holy Cross and the second quarter began with a running clock.

The second quarter featured an 11-play scoring drive for the Eagles on their final drive of the first half – and the game. Perrin found the end zone from three yards out with 16 seconds to play and Scott had 50 by the time the two teams left the field for what turned out to be the final time due to lightning in the area.

Scott (2-1) travels to Hebron next Friday to face Conner while Holy Cross (0-3) returns home to Covington looking to get into the win column against Walton Verona.

RCN's Brian Frey attended the two-day affair between Holmes and Walton-Verona, which resulted in a Bearcat blowout, 48-0. Photos from that game can be seen in the slideshow below.

The other games' scores from Week 3 can be seen on our scoreboard here:

-Staff report

Slideshow Images & Captions: