Covington, Bellevue Sites Added to National Register of Historic Places
More sites in Northern Kentucky were named to the National Register of Historic Places.
Battery Bates and Battery Coombs Historic District in Covington received the designation.
The site is named for two Civil War cannon battery defensive fortifications built by the Union Army in what is now known as Devou Park.
Battery Bates and Battery Coombs “retain historic integrity and are the most intact of the remaining fortification sites in northern Kentucky,” according to the nomination. The 246-acre site comprises two contiguous sections that were linked by rifle trenches and military roads, once part of a larger Northern Kentucky defensive fortification system that helped prevent a Confederate attack on the region in September 1862.
Bellevue's Bonnie Leslie Historic District was also named to the Register.
The 20th century suburban neighborhood of single-family homes was developed between 1920 to 1940. Read more about the neighborhood here.
Three Mason County sites were also listed. May’s Lick Negro School is a consolidated school built in 1920 for African Americans, a portion of which was funded by the Rosenwald Foundation; the Richard Durrett House is a brick, Federal-style house dating to about 1801, with an unusual floor plan featuring two front doors; and the G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) Monument in the Maysville-Mason County Cemetery is a 42-foot monument to Union efforts erected by the Joseph Heiser G.A.R. Post and dedicated in 1887.
Owners of National Register properties may qualify for state and federal tax credits for rehabilitation of these properties as certified by the Kentucky Heritage Council, or by making a charitable contribution of a preservation easement. National Register status does not affect property ownership rights but does provide a measure of protection against adverse impacts from federally funded projects.
Photo: Covington and Cincinnati skylines as seen from Devou Park with inset of Bonnie Leslie neighborhood in Bellevue (RCN)