Man Convicted of Attempted Rape of 12-Year Old Girl
A Covington man was convicted on three counts of first degree sexual abuse and once count of attempted first degree rape on Thursday.
Arrin Bush, 30, was found guilty by a Kenton County jury this week after a three-day trial.
The jury recommended 15 years in prison.
Covington Police were notified of a sexual assault that took place on Herman Street on February 19, 2018. The 12-year old female victim made a report to police.
Detective Austin Ross interviewed the victim at the Northern Kentucky Children's Advocacy Center where she said that Bush sexually assaulted her that day. The girl was at Bush's home to babysit the defendant's son while he was to be out running errands. However, Bush never left the home, the girl said and eventually sexually assaulted her there.
According to the Kenton County Commonwealth's Attorney's Office, the victim described numerous sexual acts, including an attempt to force sexual intercourse.
The girl demanded to be taken home and Bush, the girl said, frantically apologized and told the girl not to tell.
However, the girl told her parents and the police were immediately called.
The victim was treated at Cincinnati Children's Hospital where she tested positive for the chlamydia bacteria.
Police attempted to locate Bush on February 22 last year but were unsuccessful. Investigators returned to Bush's residence the next day when Bush refused to come out for approximately one hour. After eventually being apprehended, officers conducted a search warrant to determine whether Bush had chlamydia.
He tested positive for the disease, which was determined to be the same strain that infected the 12-year old girl.
Bush was indicted in April last year by the Kenton County Grand Jury. He was placed on home incarceration.
While the case was pending, detectives were notified that Bush was contacting other underage girls and inviting them to his home. As a result, the Commonwealth's Attorney moved to have Bush's bond revoked. A judge granted that motion and Bush was taken to jail to await trial.
Bush took the stand at trial where he claimed that he was the real victim, saying that the 12-year old girl sexually assaulted him after he passed out from taking medication.
Bush's wife also testified in support of her husband. A recording of a jailhouse phone call between Bush and his wife showed that Bush coached his wife on what to say.
After thirty minutes of deliberation, the jury voted to convict Bush.
He faced 5 to 20 years in prison. The jury recommended 15.
He will be eligible for parole after serving 20 percent of the sentence, but not before completing a sex offender treatment program. He will be required to register as a sex offender for life.
Formal sentencing is set for June 24.