Summer Reading Events Kick Off Saturday at Kenton Library Branches
The summer reading celebration (SRC) at the Kenton County Library begins Saturday and runs through August 31.
The event is for children, teens, and adults, and at the kick-off on Saturday, there will be associated activities.
In a news release, the library says its SRC helps prevent what is known as the "summer slide", when young students who don't read during summer vacation are most likely to struggle when school begins again.
Schedule of events:
Erlanger Branch: Saturday, June 1, 1 - 3 p.m.
A presentation by iSpace, rocketry workshops, pizza from Snappy Tomato Pizza, a bounce house, a gaga pit, face painting, tattoos, scratch art and more! Registration is required for the Rocketry workshops at kentonlibrary.org/events.
Covington Branch: Saturday, June 1, noon - 3 p.m.
A planetarium show, hands-on Space Explorers, Kona Ice, video gaming truck, Snappy Tomato Pizza and a movie. There will be free parking in the Midtown garage from 11-4.
William E. Durr Branch: Saturday, June 1, noon - 2 p.m.
Celebrate a Universe of Stories at the Durr Branch with the Cowboy in Space Mark Wood and his Out of this World variety show. There will also be a petting zoo, pony rides and Snappy Tomato Pizza.
Summer Reading Club Guidelines:
- Read or listen to any book, audio book, e-book or periodical, or attend a book related program enter.
- Enter at kentonlibrary.org/src or by visiting the library.
- Prizes awarded bi-weekly.
Teens: Open to anyone starting grades 6-leaving 12
- Read or listen to any book or magazine or attend any program to enter.
- Enter at kentonlibrary.org/src or visiting the library.
- One winner per branch will be drawn weekly.
Children ages 2 -12:
- Pick up a book log at the Library or register at kentonlibrary.org/src and start reading or listening to books.
- After 5 books or 2.5 hours of reading, return the log to the Library or enter online to win a book prize.
- After 10 books or 5 hours of reading, return the log or enter online to receive a T-shirt or drawstring backpack, while supplies last and a raffle ticket for a chance to win the grand prize basket: your choice of an art, sport or technology basket.
- Keep reading for more chances to win the grand prizes.
For the first time ever, the library will be selling a limited number of adult-sized Summer Reading Celebration T-shirts on behalf of the Friends of the Kenton County Public Library at the circulation desk of each branch. The glow-in-the-dark t-shirts cost $10 each and will go on sale on June 1. Proceeds will benefit the Friends of the Kenton County Public Library.
Each Tuesday in June, July, and August, the library will give away tickets to local attractions on its Facebook page.