Ludlow Restoration Project Wins Cincinnati Preservation Award
The Ludlow Historic Society received a Cincinnati Preservation Award for its restoration of the Latta Row House at 232 Elm Street.
The award was presented on Sunday at Cincinnati Preservation Association's annual meeting at the Newsreel Theater at Union Terminal.
Latta Row is a five-unit Italianate row house on Ludlow’s main street. It was built in 1884-1885 for Luella M. Latta, a young real estate investor, and rented to railway workers and their families.
By the 20th century, alterations for commercial uses had compromised the architectural integrity of several units in the row, including 232 Elm.
In 2017, the Ludlow Historic Society secured a grant from the Ardery Foundation to buy and renovate 232 Elm and return it to single-family use.
The Society completed the exterior restoration and interior renovation of the row house, including removal of the non-historic front addition and recreation of missing architectural features using digital scanning.
Graduate students in the University of Cincinnati’s preservation class documented the row house and produced an historic structure report, including digital record drawings of the row house and restored drawings of its original appearance, which aided the work.
In addition to the grant from the Josephine Ardery Foundation, the Ludlow Historic Society also credited the Catalytic Fund for its role in making the project possible.
Historic Society Board members Patrick Snadon, Joy Amann, and Brenda Boone spearheaded the restoration, and Cameron Williams, the owner of the property, made additional interior improvements.
The row houses on Elm St. are now in the recently designated historic district of Ludlow, which includes Elm St. east to west from the railroad bridge to Adela St., and south to north from Elm St. to the river.