Plan Adopted to Finance New Roads in Latonia Lakes
A plan has been approved for the financing of the reconstruction of streets in Latonia Lakes.
Those streets had begun to fall into disrepair since the former city voted to dissolve itself in 2006. Last fall, the Kenton County Fiscal Court began an effort to put the roads into its road maintenance plan, a legal formality in order to assist the troubled section of the county near South Covington between Taylor Mill and Independence. In October, Latonia Lakes residents heard a presentation at Oak Ridge Baptist Church about what the $1 million-plus project would look like and learned that it would likely be a 3-year process.
On Tuesday night, the Fiscal Court approved a financing formula to pay for the reconstruction of the roads. The project will cost $1.24 million and Kenton County will apply for state funds and then pay for 75% of the remaining cost while the roughly 110 residents of Latonia Lakes would be on the hook for the remaining 25%. The residents would be responsible for paying for the roads over twenty years with each bill dependent upon the value of the residents' property.
County Administrator Joe Shriver said that until the actual bids from contractors come in, exact numbers will not be known, but that the community's contribution would be capped at around $22,000 annually.
The Thornhill Drag Strip in Morning View is operating out of compliance with Kenton County code and is requesting a text amendment for the County Ordinance in order to comply with County code.
Senator Chris McDaniel informed the Fiscal Court of recent bills passed in the state House and Senate, a presentation he is giving to cities around his district.
The Fiscal Court passed a proclamation that made May 2015 Motorcycle Awareness Month in Kenton County. The proclamation was given to Keith Roberts of the Kentucky Motorcycle Association.
The Fiscal Court also made may Building Safety Month in Kenton County and gave that proclamation to Jeff Bechtold of Planning and Development Services.
Kenton County has agreed to use their equipment to remove the topsoil of Tom Ellis Field at Holmes High School as part of the planned resurfacing of the football and athletic field.
Kenton County Emergency Management head Steve Hensley said that two emergency sound systems were damaged and would cost around $5,000 each. Neither can be claimed by insurance because one was struck by lightning and the other one was damaged in what staff thought was the result of a delivery truck that had fled the scene after hitting the sound system.
Written by Bryan Burke, associate editor
Photo: Crumbling roads in Latonia Lakes in October 2014/RCN file